Kickstart Your Heart Health Journey
- Lower bad fat foods: Whole milk products, fatty cuts of meat, butter, lard, ghee, processed foods like frozen pizza, cookies, crackers and spreads.
- Consume healthy fat foods: Fatty fish (salmon, mackerel, tuna), soy bean oil, sunflower oil, peanut oil, avocado, nuts etc.
- Load up on soluble fibre: Wholegrain cereals such as oats and barley, fruits (guava, pears, beans and chickpeas), vegetables such as broccoli and carrots. Plant based foods are always good.
- Eat more fish: Fish such as mackerel, salmon, tuna, fresh sardines etc. are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Reduce intake of salt, sugar and alcohol:High salt intake increases blood pressure. Sugar contributes to obesity and weight gain. Alcohol leads to liver damage and high blood pressure.
- Include Phytosterols in your diet: Plant based foods such as soybean, canola, seeds, cereals, nuts, seeds.
- Physical activity: Regular physical activity can help you manage your weight and help lower your LDL cholesterol, improve fitness of your heart and lungs. Only 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise is needed daily. You can achieve this through a brisk walk or a swim.